I’ll start today’s instruction with a mere subset of the Crimes Prevention Unit, the CPU. This was a class that ALL citizens and business owners should attend. Maybe they’d consider offering one day public seminar?
Our teacher was none other than “Monk’s” boss, Sgt T.A. McLaughlin. I have no idea what “T.A.” stands for, but I doubt his mom was thinking about the modern day translation of those initials upon his birth.
Not to disappoint, but for this individual I am unable to find an appropriate descriptive name. I’ll be forever distracted by the mental picture of him letting the young kids on the force subdue suspects so he can finish them off by dropping his body weight on them. Just a few years from retirement, I don’t see the Sgt volunteering to run with MPO Zelms and the school kids any time soon but instead should consider the WWF? Just a thought.
Anyway, I can go into more detail tomorrow about all the different aspects of the CPU but for today, here are a few details I found most noteworthy:
- Could the creepy guy on your block be a registered sex offender? Click here and see for yourself!
- Want to know about any crime reported in your own neighborhood or if you’re moving and want to check? Here’s your link!
- There is no such thing as performing a “Citizen’s Arrest” in the state of VA. If you grab and detain someone you perceive to be a bad guy, regardless of what you may have witnessed, YOU will be charged with abduction.
- If your purse gets stolen, and you are fortunate enough to have Dirty Harry with you, Harry can NOT assault the purse snatcher if he can capture the perp! I don’t think this is fair but according to McLaughlin, these jerks LOVE to sue their victims. Now wouldn’t that be a b)_&*?
- Thou shalt not use deadly force if a stranger suddenly appears in your home unless you know that his/her intentions are not so good and you fear for your safety and/or that of your family. Also you can NEVER shoot someone OUTSIDE of your home. Where did I put my taser?
- The #1 reported crime in VA Beach is larceny in cars. Lock your car doors and hide your GPS. Please.
- If you notice minor peril occurring, and you live in the VA Beach area, please report it but call 385-5000 instead of 911. The phones are answered by the same people but obviously in order of priority and therefore responded to in kind. Keep in mind that there are about 800 cops for what, 450,000 people so it might take a couple of hours to get a response to a non-life threatening event.
Finally, use common sense. ”There might be a reason to throw an old man down a flight of stairs – just don’t do it!” -Chris Rock